Table of Contents


This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2008Dec03

NAASC Organizational Meeting: Wednesday Dec 03, 1-2:30pm ET (1800-1930UT), CV-ER209/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)

Meeting Information

  • Call date: 2008-12-03 (Wednesday)
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 18:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.5 hr
  • Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leader: Hibbard

Attendees

  • CV: JH, BK, JS, AE, CL, AW, CB, HL, JM, RI
  • Soc: BG, SM, CC
  • GB:
  • Canada: BM
  • Tuc: DE

Action Items from past meetings (RED=OPEN)

  • ACTION: provide revised ALMA EPO plan/staff ramp-up for NAASC EPO effort consistent with planned funding level
    • WHO: M.Adams/J. Stoke
    • DUE: Dec 15 -> early 2009
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: reassigned to J. Stoke
  • ACTION: Write revised NAASC proposal: budget methodology; changes from Washington review
    • WHO: Hibbard
    • DUE: Jan09
    • DONE: New budget done 11/13. Need text.
  • ACTION: Arrange for interviews at Jan AAS
    • WHO: CL
    • DUE:
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Send job announcements to almanews
    • WHO: CL
    • DUE: 12/5
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: Done automatically as part of NRAO eNews Career Opportunities section, but feeling was that we should send to almanews anyway.
  • ACTION: canned almasimmos demo for Jan AAS
    • WHO: Remy
    • DUE: 12/15/08
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: canned splatalogue demo for Jan AAS
    • WHO: Tony
    • DUE: 12/15/08
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Remove http://www.alma.nrao.edu/ when relevant material identified by AWootten is posted elsewhere.
    • WHO: JStoke
    • DUE:
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Meet with new ANASAC Chair, set meeting dates, update wiki & web if necessary.
    • WHO: CLonsdale
    • DUE: 12/05/08
    • DONE:
    • NOTES: met with Chair.
  • ACTION: Collate NAASC-relevant items from VC, UC, ANASAC, ASAC, Milkey reports & post
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: 12/05/08
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Talk to Thijs at Nov Board meeting and find out what Milestones we can report
    • WHO: CLonsdale
    • DUE: 11/25/08
    • DONE: 11/18/08
    • NOTES: Thijs was not helpful, but we are using milestones presented at recent computing and AAER reviews.
  • ACTION: update almasimmos wiki and cookbook
    • WHO: Remy
    • DUE: 01/15/09
    • DONE: 12/01/09
    • NOTES: Brian Kent will test this out
  • ACTION: Make mailman list for current & future naasc employees
  • ACTION: Start attending naasc work-meetings
    • WHO: all current or future naasc-supported personnel
    • DUE: 11/25/08 and thereafter
    • DONE: 11/25/08
    • NOTES: 2nd & 4th tuesdays at 4pm in CV209
  • ACTION: attend meeting in Carol's office on next steps forward for molecular tools
    • WHO: Any interested parties
    • DUE: 11/07/08 2pm
    • DONE: 11/07/08
    • NOTES: Will generate internal white paper on next steps.
  • ACTION: Review NAASC webpage you are responsible for (see assignments) prior to monthly NAASC Org. Meeting
    • WHO: Everyone
    • DUE: prior to meeting
    • DONE:

Action Items from this meeting:

  • ACTION: Test out new almasimmos wiki instructions/cookbook
    • WHO: BKent
    • DUE: 1/07/09
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Follow up with UMd on SOW for Casa Carma filler/pathway
    • WHO: JHibbard
    • DUE: 1/07/09
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Generate streamlined description of Richer ALMA PRC document for ANASAC
    • WHO: AWotten
    • DUE: 12/08/09
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Assign ANASAC charge to review Richer ALMA PRC document and provide written comment by Jan 9.
    • WHO: CLonsdale
    • DUE: 12/08/09
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Send ASAC report on ALMA Development to Carilli for inclusion in NRAO Decadal white paper
    • WHO: AWootten
    • DUE: 12/07/09
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Send NRAO Decadal white-paper to Wootten
    • WHO: CCarilli
    • DUE: 12/07/09
    • DONE:
  • ACTION: Call meeting to discuss wording for ALMA development in NRAO Decadal white paper
    • WHO: AWootten
    • DUE: 1/07/09
    • DONE:
  • ACTION:
    • WHO:
    • DUE: 1/07/09
    • DONE:

Agenda

  • NAASC News (Hibbard)
    • Any news on our advertised positions? We reviewed. If anyone hears of anyone who applied for one of our jobs, tell Carol so she can check that materials were received. Does OSAA go outside of HR? JH confirmed that they do.
    • Helpdesk document turned over from JH to AE Oct 15.
    • Much work on getting JAO budget for 2009+ approved.
    • No progress on effort to write SOW with UMd to write pathlength for Carma data into CASA. AI on JH to follow up on this
    • ALMA Milestones: What milestones can we say in public? SciOps is reporting the following at AAER next mo BG said that these are the same milestones that Thijs showed at computing review:
      • Start of CSV (3 ant at AOS): Nov 2009
      • Early Science Decision Point/Call for Proposals: Nov 2010
      • Early Science Start: July 2011
    • In response to revised JAO milestones and NSF "continuing resolution" funding for at least the start of FY09, the NAASC plans to (1) delay CSV support trips to Chile until the Fall; (2) delay archive support till FY2010; (3) encourage later start dates for currently advertised positions (CSV2, casa developer) and postpone other planned hires (web developer, EPO specialist, archive techs). To be discussed in detail at SciOpsIPT f2f meeting Jan12-14 in Santiago. If CR continues, may also defer tutorials, f2f meetings, workshops until FY2010.
    • Fred released Richer committee document on suggested ALMA Proposal Review process. NAASC had a quick review of this on 11/24. Summary ppt generated by JH. AW, CL, JH met with FL on Monday 12/1 to finalize NRAO viewpoint & Fred sent to NAOJ & ESO directors saying they should solicit regional input. AW will write streamlined summary of process for ANASAC, and CL will assign charge to ANASAC on behalf of Fred to give written input on process by Jan 11-13 f2f meeting of ARC managers, who will then create a revised draft.

  • Project News (Wootten) The ALMA Operations Support Facility from Holography Tower No 2. A view from the newly completed holography tower No. 2 toward the Operations Support Facility. Seven Vertex antennas and four Mitsubishi Electric Company (Melco) antennas (left foreground) are now on the site, with six visible in the panorama above. Four others are erected in the Vertex Site Erection Facility (SEF), the building in the left background. Nearby two Vertex antennas are being tested just outside the building. Inside the SEF, one antenna awaits assembly. Four Melco antennas lie in front of the Vertex complex. In the immediate left foreground, an area is being prepared for the first AEM antennas, expected to arrive from Europe soon. To the right is the Operation Support Facility Technical Building complex, now being readied for the arrival of the first of the production antennas. A transporter will move the antenna, expected to be Melco No 2 (second from right of the four in the picture) to the courtyard at the OSF TB, center right. The transporters can be seen in their shelter, to the right and above the courtyard.
    • Agreement with Taiwan
    • Decadal Survey Comittee named, vdBout a member
      • FIR/Submillimeter Astronomy from Space draft circulating.
      • ALMA Development draft presented to Board. Al wants to make sure ALMA development gets to decadal review in some form. He should send to Carilli committee (NRAO whitepaper), and Carilli should send him what they have written. Al also wishes to call a meeting to discuss how to promote ALMA development. Thats 3 new AIs.
    • Status Report
      • The 12th contractor's antenna (Vertex No 8) arrived at the OSF on 27 November.
      • Science milestones for ALMA These are the updated new Science milestones. Comments please.
      • Schedule Control Plan
      • Annual ALMA External Review occurs 9-11 Dec.
      • Site: Installation of foundations continues.
      • Antennas: Melco No 2 in shared use with AIV. Conditional acceptance expected in Dec. Vertex No 1 has completed Surface tests: metrology systems being worked on. Acceptance likely to be in February 2009.
      • Front Ends: The first "engineering model" has been installed in Melco No 2. Delivery - the second "engineering model" front-end is under test in Taiwan and should be shipped to Chile by end of 2008. Third from EU FEIC in Feb '09.
      • Correlator: Assembly of the first quadrant at the AOS has been completed and a full set of tests passed succesfully.
      • Software: Overall external review 17-23 Nov; preliminary report in.
      • Systems: New group under Nick Whyborn now active. Developing detailed procedures for testing and verification of systems requirements.
      • ATF - shutdown Dec 20
      • ASAC Matters.
        • Report delivered to Board.
        • Response from JAO (see attachment)
        • Face-to-face meeting in Chile 28-29 Jan.
        • Panel to prepare ALMA Development Proposal has had several telecons, draft report written.
    • Commissioning and Science Verification (new versions received for December).
    • ALMA Biweekly Calendar

  • ANASAC
    • ANASAC wiki needs updating; webpage too.
    • As discussed above, ANASAC should receive charge to provide written comments on Richer document. AI on Carol & Al to work on this.

  • Main Event:
    • New naasc webpage: http://naasc.nrao.edu/. Discuss look and feel (J. Stoke). We did. Send any further comments to John S.

  • Reports from Working Groups
    • Pipeline (Harvey)
      • UT5 (regression test, single dish heuristics) is expected to happen before Christmas. Only C. Wilson is participating in this
      • UT6 tentatively scheduled early 2009. Scope includes calibration and imaging improvements.
    • CASA (Crystal)
      • Patch 3 out. Needed ~3days of effort from everyone. Got none. Crystal did all the work again. This has to change.
    • ObsPrep (incl. ObsTool=OT) (Harvey)
      • Andy Biggs (EU ARC) replaces L. Testi as subsystem test scientist for OT.
      • Internal test at ATF before shut down on Dec20. Andy, Deb, Leonardo, Alan Bridger
      • Established at Nov12 eSSR meeting that OT is supposed to link to archive for databases (both calibrators and spectral line), but this is not yet active.
    • Casapy simulator (Remy)
      • Remy is working on canned demo for Jan AAS, then will update wiki.
    • ALMA Archive (Carol)
      • New attempt at "one-stop" wiki at NaascArchive
      • UT2 planned for Feb09.
      • Established at Nov12 eSSR meeting that archive does use splatalog. Built to import, but are working on direct query.
    • Splatalogue (Tony)
      • Tony sent out progress against "Focus Group" recommendations on 10/23. Have contracted with programmer to do display. Tony working on getting other material in. See Oct agenda for priorities
      • Established at Nov12 eSSR meeting that OT is supposed to get spectral lines from archive, but this is turned off. Archive will get spectral line list from splatalog
    • Webpages (Aaron)
      • Are links to alma.nrao.edu replace with almaobservatory.org? Add links that AL cares about (site, memos, historic stuff) off of alma.nrao.edu to naasc web?
    • EPO (John S.)
      • Any news from ALMA EPO IPT?
      • NAASC at January AAS in Long Beach:
        • Bruchure update?? See attached current version. Need updates by 9 Dec.
        • Stand-alone demo of alma simulator, Splatalogue.
        • NRAO Town Hall on Wed before the banquet. John S. wants NAASC scientist at booth ~2hr periods each day to answer questions.
        • NAASC participants: CL, CB, AR, AP, JdF, AE, TH, AW. Maybe Doug Johnstone. Sounds like enough people.
        • Good place to do interviews for jobs - Carol will take charge of that.
    • NAASC Workshops (Aaron)
      • Has narrower scope been defined by SOC? Who is on SOC? Wiki setup? All in progress. Aaron will notify us when it is settled
      • N~150 at Omni in the Fall. Maybe even b2b w/Jan AAS in DC?
    • Upcoming Science Meetings: (Al)
      • One of the special sessions for the 5-7 Jan 2009 URSI commission J meeting in Boulder, Colorado will be on "ALMA Technology, Science and Status". See attachment to last months agenda
      • Millimeter and Submillimeter Astronomy at High Angular Resolution June 8-12 2009 ASIAA
      • Other Meetings of interest listed at http://www.cv.nrao.edu/naasc/alma_meetings.php (is this kept updated?)
    • Upcoming NAASC Science Visitors
      • Teuben Dec 16? 2008
      • Bojan Nikolic Jan 11-14 2009
      • Juan Cortez Jan 11-14 2009
      • Michelle Thornley & Jack Gallimore July 2009
      • I THINK WE NEED A CALENDAR FOR THIS, PLUS MEETINGS, ETC. We'll discuss some other time

-- JohnHibbard - 05 Dec 2008

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > NAASCMtgAgenda > NaascMinutes2008Dec03
Topic revision: 2008-12-05, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback