This page is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2007Oct03

NAASC Organizational Meeting: Wednesday Oct 3, 1-2:30pm ET (1700-1830UT), CV-ER311/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)

Meeting Information

  • Call date: 2007-10-03 (Wednesday)
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 17:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.5 hr
  • Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333
  • Leader: Hibbard

Attendees

  • CV: Mangum, Wootten, Hibbard, Radziwell, Brogan, Remijan, Hales, Indebetouw
  • Soc: Carilli, Myers, Glendenning
  • GB:
  • TUC:
  • Canada: Knee, Hesser, di Francesco
  • SCO:

Action Items from past meetings

  • ACTION: Arrange for pdf of ALMA articles from NRAO Newsletter to be sent out electronically to almanews@nrao.edu
    • WHO: J. Hibbard/M. Adams -> Carilli, Adams
    • DUE: Next Issue (~July 1 -> Oct 1) -> Aug 15 -> Oct 15
    • DONE: pdf produced and posted Oct 10
  • ACTION: Discuss idea of UVa/NAASC liason with D.O.
    • WHO: J. Hibbard
    • DUE: end of summer
    • DONE: 8/21/2007
    • NOTE: Things are in the works. Will report on this when its more finalized.
  • ACTION: Canadian MOU draft to NRAO; NRAO iterate. This is back in NRC's court
    • WHO: L. Knee/C. Carilli
    • DUE: Aug 5 Worked on and sent back to NRC. Revised deadline to October 30
    • DONE:

Agenda

  • NAASC News (Carilli/Hibbard)
    • Recently produced 2007 Summary, 2008 Program Plan. Check it out. Long-range Plan (2008-2012) is submitted.
    • Input for quarterly report due Oct 22. Need a line or two from everyone.
    • OpsWG is working towards version D of AOP. Hibbard went to SCO Sep12 to help finalize budget. Should be ready any day now.
    • Results of ARC Manager f2f (Garching, Sep 3): Increasing ARC core support by inclusion of hand-holding & archive research support. Moves two positions from NAASC "Full" to core support. NAASC will help train other ARC personnel in casa so they can prepare for user support. We will hold quarterly f2f. Hibbard needs to produce document on helpdesk requirements by December. Hibbard also attended EU Community Days. May discuss arclet concept.
    • CASA beta support: Beta release is imminent. Recall that no operations plan anywhere included any user support this year. We are trying to get new staff on-board to help support this ASAP. Will advertise for NAASC CASA developer based in Charlottesville. Frail is in charge of these hires.
    • Evan's joint NRAO/UVa appointment is in the works. Current plan:
      • Evans will be at Spitzer Science Center from now until Jan 1. Will produce report on how SSC User Suppport works.
      • Will go to ASIAA Jan-Feb, and report on their plans for user support and possible interaction wiht NAASC
      • Thereafter, will work with Carilli on on-line mm course, along the lines of the Condon & Ransom"essential radio astronomy" on-line course.
      • Expect him in Charlottesville August 2008.
    • CSV jobs been advertised. Expect to start reviewing applications in November. Please send along to promising candidates.
    • Revision of Canadian MOU is in the works. Will be between observatory directors, not funding agencies.
    • MOU with UVML for SIS development is in the works. Will support THz research, support Art Lichtenberger half time, as the "NRAO Director of the University of Virginia Microfabrication Laboratory". Funded under NAASC "Special Projects".
    • Science Talks/visits:
    • Upcoming NAASC Science Colloquia and Meetings
      • Al is working with Bryan Butler, Mark Gurwell, and UVa on possible planetary workshop. Stirring up interest at DPS. Will get back to us after then

  • Project News (Wootten)
    • _I am pleased to report that we have achieved another milestone in the path to dynamic fringes. Today we were able to have stable fringes on Mercury using Darrel's polynomial for the geometric delay. We have had fringes for approximately 2 hours with no human interaction. we think that most of the variation in the Phase is due to weather (it is very cloudy today). Congratulations to everyone who has worked hard to get us to this point. --Jeff Kern(for everyone at the ATF today) _
    • ALMA Board Charges to the ASAC (in Agenda); see also Board Response to previous Charges. the Board tasked us with coordinating a white paper: '...Accordingly, the Board asks that the Project Scientists coordinate a short ``white paper'' on the molecular data requirements for ALMA, including coordination with other major projects with similar data needs, to be submitted by the end of the year.'
    • Current Science IPT Schedule. Current Operations Schedule. IPS Pictorial View(2007 July 31). optical pointing at OSF by Nov 2007; radiometric pointing in early 2008
    • ALMA Biweekly Calendar
    • ALMA Construction Photogallery

  • ANASAC
    • face-2-face meeting was Fri, Aug17 in CV. Agenda. Final Report & response to charges
    • Membership changes: A. Baker is new chair. T. Heckman, M. Fall, S. Jogee & J. Prochaska are new members.
    • Next meeting: nothing posted! Nov 2nd

  • Main Event: Plans for FY2008
    • Take a look at the 2008 Program Plan
    • CASA Beta release planning & boot camp (Crystal). John & Crystal will go to boot camp (Oct 16-18 in Socorro). Tony and Remy will attend remotely. After that we plan a staged beta release.

  • Reports from Working Groups
    • Software Testing
      • Pipeline testing: Gearing up for UT5 in October. Take a look at their question on continuum subtraction
      • Offline testing: see Main Topic for beta release plans.
      • ObsTool. Recent test has concluded. Waiting on report.
      • Casapy simulator: stand by.
    • Calibration Group (JeffMangum): Calibration
    • Imaging Group (AlWootten):
    • MM Calibrator/Spectral Line Databases (Tony Remijan)
      • We are expecting a "beta" release of all the new functionality, as well as some new surprises, by Dec 2007. Remijan will present the "New Splatalogue" to the ANASAC on Aug 17th and Remijan and Markwick -Kemper will give a "world-wide tour" of Splatalogue next year. The first unofficial stop is in the Fall to Pasadena (NHSC, Caltech mm group, Spitzer). Plans have yet to be made yet, however.
    • Webpages (Tony Remijan):
    • EPO (Adams)
      • Ad for ALMA EPO specialist Posted.
      • Mark is giving talk with JAO & ESO at "Communicating Astronomy to the Public" meeting in Greece in October.
      • "documenting ALMA". Next product: 15min video by January
      • ALMA EPO Working Group next f2f meeting 15 Nov
      • New EPO webcontent specialist: Taylor Johnson. Will be the point person for images.
      • Send any ideas for images for 2008 NRAO calendar
    • NAASC Workshops (Evans)
      • ANASAC will advise
    • ALMA Meetings: (Wootten)

-- JohnHibbard - 23 Oct 2007

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > NAASCMtgAgenda > NaascMinutes2007Oct03
Topic revision: 2007-10-23, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback