This agenda is available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NaascMinutes2007May02

NAASC Organizational Meeting: Wednesday May 2, 1-2:30pm ET (1700-1830UT), CV-ER311/TUC-N525/Soc280(SO-conf2)

Meeting Information

  • Call date: 2007-05-02 (Wednesday)
  • Call time 13:00 ET or 17:00 UT
  • Duration: 1.0 hr
  • Non toll-free number: 434-244-6834
  • USA toll-free Number: 866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517-444-6916
  • Passcode: 8445333
  • Leader: John Hibbard

Attendees

  • CV: Hunter, Wootten, Brogan, Adams, Reid, Remijan, Indebetou, Radziwill, Balser, Mangum, Uson, Hales, Hibbard
  • Soc: Carilli, Glendenning
  • GB:
  • NRC: Knee, DiFrancesco
  • Other:

Action Items from past meetings

  • Write ad for next NAASC hires (coordinate with SAA/DO?). To be advertised in the Fall. This will be our CSV experts (3-6mo/yr in Chile for 2009-2011), on board by May-July 2008. Also, first NAASC postdoc is in plan for April 2008.
    • WHO: C. Carilli
    • DUE: Jan 11 2007=>June 2007
    • DONE:
    • NOTES:

Agenda

  • NAASC News (Carilli)
    • Response to NSF Review committee has been completed. Powerpoint summary presented to NSF by Ade on April 27. Written response goes to AUI, then to NSF.
    • ACTION: Submit response to Review Committee to AUI
      • WHO: C. Carilli
      • DUE: May 9?
      • DONE: May 11
    • ACTION: Send copy of review to HIA
      • WHO: C. Carilli
      • DUE: May 9
      • DONE: May 3
    • AOP Review Committee: response being formulated starting with telecon this morning. Due to Board on May 18
    • Users Committee meeting in Charlottesville May 17-18. NAASC report drafted. 15min talk by Carilli.
    • CC and JH are planning a fact-finding trip to SSC and NHSC (Pasadena) May 29-June 1. Will meet with Tom Soifer & Lisa Storrie-Lombardi. I guess we should book those trips.
    • Take a look at the EU ALMA Newsletter, especially article on ARC nodes in Leiden (3 scientists) and Grenoble (7 scientists). See what they are planning on doing. Are we falling behind? Should we try to coordinate more? Should CC and/or JH go to ALMA day in Garching Sept 3-5?
      • JH to go to ALMA day in Garching. We should send electronic version of ALMA newsletter articles out via email - either link to pdf or on-line version. Former should be easier, if EPO can quickly turn ALMA articles into pdf (its painful to get usable html versions)
    • ACTION: Arrange for ALMA articles from NRAO Newsletter to be sent out electronically
      • WHO: J. Hibbard/M. Adams
      • DUE: Next Issue (~July 1)
      • DONE:
    • NAASC/UVa Liason: too many rumors, not enough coordination. We'll discuss. Would be good to have someone from UVa designated as NRAO/NAASC contact, someone from NAASC designated as UVa contact
    • ACTION: Discuss possible UVa/NAASC liason with D.O.
      • WHO: J. Hibbard
      • DUE: end of summer
      • DONE:
    • Science Talks/visits:
      • CC gave one at CfA, ...
      • CB gave one at JHU, DTM, Maser workshop (Alice Spring AUS, March 16)
      • AW gave one in ESO workshop (Santiago, ...), Maser workshop (Alice Springs AUS, March 16); will give one 10 May at ASIAA Taipei RoC.
      • AH gave one at ESO workshop (Santiago, ...)
      • DS gave one at caltech
    • Upcoming NAASC Science Colloquia and Meetings
      • should add this as a catagory in calander so we could easily see talk schedule for all NAASC-affiliated staff
    • ACTION: Create catagory for NAASC staff talks/travel on NAm ALMA Calendar
      • WHO: J. Hibbard
      • DUE: May 9?
      • DONE: June 4
    • ACTION: Enter details of your talks using NAm ALMA Calendar
      • WHO: All staff
      • DUE: on-going
      • DONE:
      • Notes: To do this, us=admin, pw=admin
    • ACTION: Move items from http://www.cv.nrao.edu/naasc/alma_meetings.shtml to Science Meetings under NAm ALMA Calendar
      • WHO: A. Remijan
      • DUE: End of summer
      • DONE:

  • Project News (Wootten)
    • Main Event: How are things going at the ATF? OK. Dick Sramek in charge. Carilli plans on spending some time there this summer learning the ropes.
    • AIV System astronomer jobs advertised on NRAO webpage (item CL0010)
    • ASAC meeting will be held in Tokyo next week (May 7-8).
    • ALMA Biweekly Calendar
    • ALMA Construction Photogallery Not updated since Feb 2007

  • ANASAC
    • Latest telecon occurred on Friday April 27 2007. Agenda Minutes
      • 5 members rotating off Jan 2008: Blain, Fan, Johnstone, Mundy, Wilson. Blain asked to stay on. Johnstone should stay, since he will be on ASAC.
      • Asked for comments on ASAC charges. JH thinks this needs to be done more formally. Lets discuss.
      • face-2-face meeting: looking for dates. Late August? Sept? Possible agenda items:
        • Project update
        • splatalog demo
        • casapy beta-release presentation/demo
        • alma simulator - demo & feedback?
        • NAASC staffing plan - who & what by when
        • AOP - give them access. What would we do with comments?
        • Grants - they've formulated a stand already. What is the next step?
      • Question: is this worth the trouble and expense of a f2f meeting? What is the difference between ANASAC and User Committees? Not discussed
    • Next telecon Fri June 1
    • Get ANASAC listed at http://www.nrao.edu/administration/directors_office/external_committees.shtml? DONE 6/4/2007 by JH.

  • Reports from Working Groups
    • Software Testing (Hibbard):
      • Pipeline testing: Test4 Jan 10 to April 16 2007. John, Ed and James diF were external testers from the NAASC. Draft report has been sent around.
      • Offline testing: Test5. Final Report. Many upgrades to CASA have already occurred in response to the Test5 test report, see most recent Release Notes. The current tentative schedule for the Beta is:
        • June 15 Patch 1
          • Intensive NAUG/NAASC testing is needed after both of the major patches, what is NAASC availability week of June 26-29? George & Claire will visit CV for testing this week. JH, CB, AR, RR, AH are all available to test. CB may round up some more warm bodies.
        • August 15 Patch 2 (Development Freeze)
        • September 30 Tentative Beta Release Date
      • ObsTool. Whats next?
      • Casapy User Interface:
        • Marc Claussen has moved to EVLA support. Currently the coordination duties are being done by Steve Myers. He is concentrating on updating the cookbook.
        • Does he need help from the NAASC staff? e.g., reviewing cookbook, testing examples, single dish chapters, on-line in-line help?
      • Casapy simulator: where does this stand? Joe & Kumar visited CV May 21-25 to work with RR, CB on this.
    • Calibration Group (JeffMangum): Calibration
    • Imaging Group (AlWootten):
    • MM Calibrator/Spectral Line Databases (Tony Remijan)
      • F. Lovas will spend July at NAASC helping to add content to splatalogue.
      • Can we get a link to this added here and the NAASC homepage, etc?
    • Webpages (Tony Remijan):
      • Tony's done a lot of work on the NAm ALMA Calendar. Lets all try to use it.
      • Review your web charges at the bottom of this agenda and let me know if they have been updated.
      • ACTION: Update the NAASC webpages under your charge
        • WHO: All staff
        • DUE: on-going
        • DONE:
    • EPO (Adams/J. Uson)
      • New ALMA Brochure. Send any comments to Al
      • JH has emphasized to Adams the desire to hire EPO professional to help with ALMA EPO workload, especially web content, displays, documentary. Its in the NAASC budget for FY2007. Ad should be posted any day now
      • Newsletter article due June 1 Submitted June 1
    • NAASC Workshops (Brogan)
      • 2007 Disk workshop:
    • ALMA Meetings: (Wootten)


-- JohnHibbard - 04 Jun 2007

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > NAASCMtgAgenda > NaascMinutes2007May02
Topic revision: 2013-02-13, PatrickMurphy
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback