JAO Support Group Meeting, Thursday Mar 29, 2012, 10:00-11:00 ET (1400-1500UT)

Meeting Logisics

  • Time: 10:00 - 11:00 ET = 1400 - 1500 UT
  • Todays location: CV-ER209
  • 2nd Thursdays Location:
    • Room: CV-ER331
    • Video Hub:
    • Domestic Call In: 434-293-7109
    • Int'l Call In: 434-293-6691
  • 4th Thursdays Location:
    • Room: CV-ER209
    • Video Hub:
    • Toll-free: 866 560 2652
    • Toll: 517 308 7468
    • Passcode: 2652628

Open Action Items

  1. Action on JH: Get from SciOpsIPT AI list


  • Attendees:
  • Apologies: Kartik (in DC); Stuartt moving from Socorro; Nuria traveling back from Socorro. Ed in GB?
  • Minutes from last meeting are posted at JAOsupportMinutes2011Nov10
  • Science Observing
    • Just finished Session 11. We have enough telescopes on "extended" pads that JAO is executing extended SBs only. Were able to observe 2 nights (PWV=1-8mm). NA got a good share of these.
    • They still wanted us to identify "configuration independent" SBs (annotate in P2G JIRA). Could be done if no other Extended SBs available. Only 3 projects identified thus far: 97, 397, 747. Any others?
    • JAO will probably start publishing monthly observing summaries sometime during Cycle 0
    • Almost all NA PI's with compact SBs have been updated. Still to do: 465, 469, 470, 476 (Stuartt, Al, Adam).
  • New Activities:
    • Revisions to Cycle 1 Documents. Latest version posted to https://staff.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/Cycle1DocReview (internal NRAO wiki). Comments due today. Next version due out April 09.
      • Technical Handbook: NA Assignees and JAO editors are given at bottom of JAOsupportMinutes2011Nov10. Send comments on assigned chapters directly to JAO editors with CC to jhibbard. More general comments should be sent to JHibbard to collate and forward on.
      • Proposers Guide and Capabilities: comments should have been sent to Carol by today. If you have further comments, send them to JHibbard to collate
      • Cycle1 Primer: USG will discuss at their meeting today.
    • IT6 will take place April 9-13. Submit 1-2 proposals. Five of us from JSG (JH, HL, KS, TH, NM) are additionally required fill out & submit test matrix (would be useful for all other testers to do this, but at the request of Management we have not made this a requirement on any but we five)
  • On-going activities
    • Documenting "common technical errors made in Cycle 0" for users to see for Cycle 1 (could be based on FlagsSheetforTA.draft1.pdf generated by Liz Humphreys after the August TA Workshop). Plan is to put this into a KB article to be deployed along with the Call for Proposals. Suggestion: break list into different parts and assign to different ARCs. In each ARC, assign each question to a TAWG member or participant from TA workshop. Carol will take lead in organizing our part. This task has fallen to JHibbard, who has still not made any progress
    • Trips to Chile: As of last month, we are no longer maintaining NAASC2Chile (was used for CSV and Data Reduction visits). Now most trips will be AoD, which are summarized across all three ARCs at https://sites.google.com/site/almacommunityoutreach/arc-workflow-folders/astronomer-on-duty-scheduling. JHibbard or KSheth can edit that document, so arrange trips with them.
    • P2G: Tomorrow is end of the Batch 1-3 "update to R8.1" period. Next period is for Batch 5 (Band3 & Band6 Filler). P2G and CS assignments at https://sites.google.com/site/almacommunityoutreach/arc-workflow-folders/phase-ii-materials/cycle0-project-assignments
    • Calibrator Source Survey: Some interesting notes on this at http://wikis.alma.cl/bin/view/AIV/March21%2c2012, which I copy verbatim below. Maybe Nuria can update us?
      • added "NearestFlux" class to analysisUtils. This utility can be used to retrieve the nearest 4 fluxes in time of any quasar in our database at any band and date in CASA. But it only works inside the JAO intranet because it accesses http://asaportal-dev.osf.alma.cl:8080/sourcecat/xmlrpc.
      • Bright sources website (http://www.almaobservatory.org/~dbarkats/cal_survey/plots/grid_fluxes.html) updated with new set of sources selected for Observatory Amplitude Calibration sources.
      • CSV-1639: version of reduction pipeline applied to ES blocks (project 851). Flux differences less than <3 % for science vs calsurvey reduction and <3% w. fluxes taken 1 week apart. So far only TDM.
      • CSV-1531: report from Nuria on planetary models
      • CSV-1301: new SB ready to go to dynamically observe 15 asteroid. This SB will also continue taking data to improve/check planetary models. CASA 3.4 will also have new updated planet models
      • CSV-1532: Cool stars SB ready to go to test very long baselines (e.g. Cycle 1 longest baselines)
    • Pipeline: Ed recently back from Socorro. If he is here (he was going to Greenbank), he can give us a brief summary. Jeff K. & Lyndsey are coming out the first week of May to install first version of pro to-pipeline at NAASC.
  • Next Meeting: April 12?

Additional Material:

-- JohnHibbard - 2012-03-28
Topic revision: r3 - 2012-03-29, ToddHunter
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback