JAO Support Group Meeting, Thursday Nov 10, 2011, 10:00-11:00 ET (1500-1600UT)

Meeting Logisics

  • Time: 10:00 - 11:00 ET = 1400 - 1500 UT
  • Todays location: CV-ER331
  • 2nd Thursdays Location:
    • Room: CV-ER331
    • Video Hub: 192.33.117.19
    • Domestic Call In: 434-293-7109
    • Int'l Call In: 434-293-6691
  • 4th Thursdays Location:
    • Room: CV-ER209
    • Video Hub: 192.33.117.17
    • Toll-free: 866 560 2652
    • Toll: 517 308 7468
    • Passcode: 2652628

Open Action Items

  1. Action on JH: Get from SciOpsIPT AI list

Agenda

  • Attendees: JH, NM, HL, AW, TH, CB, CL, RI, EF (phone).
  • Apologies: Kartik (traveling to JAO)
  • Minutes from last meeting are posted at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/JAOsupportMinutes2011Aug25
  • Report from Chile
  • New Activities:
    • Revisions to Technical HB for Cycle 1. DSO has made chapter assignments (see also AssignmentsTechnicalHandbook.pdf). Need ARC contacts for review/input. Lets fill out list at end of agenda. JEH will try to get this filled out by going door-to-door
    • Documenting "common technical errors made in Cycle 0" for users to see for Cycle 1 (could be based on FlagsSheetforTA.draft1.pdf generated by Liz Humphreys after the August TA Workshop). Plan is to put this into a KB article to be deployed along with the Call for Proposals. Suggestion: break list into different parts and assign to different ARCs. In each ARC, assign each question to a TAWG member or participant from TA workshop. Carol will take lead in organizing our part.
    • Revised list of Cycle 1 Capabilities (DO NOT DISTRIBUTE). I'd like to collect any concerns about these to feed back to the project. The plan is to finalize these for an announcement to go out Dec 1.
    • We also have the configuration/simulation effort to discuss, but lets hold off on that until the ensuing Tiger Team meeting (ALMATigerTeamMtg2011Nov10). Items to flag: 2mo shutdown; too many spectral setups (CB to provide some words); much better definition of "Demonstration Science" call & process
  • On-going Activities:
    • Pencil schedule for CSV support: NAASC2Chile
    • P2G: we are in Batch3 prep period (Nov1-30).
      • JAO has not yet assigned projects to P2G members, even through Batch 3 prep nominally started 10 days ago!!! People and PI's were told to be available based on existing schedule, and have arranged travel accordingly. So JEH must remind ("insist" was used at meeting) JAO follow timelines (DONE). Harvey, for example, will be unavailable Dec 1-14.
      • Hoping to move to R8.1 before Batch 3 to fix infamous LO4 problem. However, SBs will be even LESS efficient in R8.1 b/c of innerscan overhead. Partially compensated by going to longer SB durations.
    • Calibrator Source Survey:
  • Next Meeting: Nov 18? (Nov 25 is Thanksgiving holiday)

Additional Material:

NA Review Assignments from Cycle 0 Technical Handbook From JAOsupportMinutes2011Apr28
  • Sec02 Antennas: Jeff Mangum (3 pgs)
  • Sec03 Frontend: Todd Hunter (21 pgs)
  • Sec04 ACD: Jeff Mangum (2 pgs)
  • Sec05 IF & LO Chain: Darrel Emerson (3 pgs)
  • Sec06 Signal Distrib: Darrel Emerson (6 pgs)
  • Sec07 Delay Correction: Darrel Emerson (1 pg)
  • Sec08 Correlator: Todd Hunter (4 pgs)
  • Sec09 Observing Projects: Harvey Liszt (7 pgs)
  • Sec10 Configs: Al Wootten (7 pgs)
  • Sec11 Simulations: Remy & Scott Schnee (6 pgs)
  • Sec12 Sens. Calc: Harvey Liszt (5 pgs)
  • Sec13 Calibration Ed Fomalont & Jeff Mangum (4 pgs)
  • Sec14 Qual.Assur John Hibbard (3 pgs)
  • Sec15 Archiving Mark Lacy (3pgs)
  • Secs16-18 Setups Crystal Brogan (8 pgs)

NA Assignments for Cycle 1 Technical Handbook (updated 21Mar2012 to be consistent with chapter arrangement of 16March2012 version0.6 of TechHB) (JAO organizer in parenthesis) Assigned NAASC staff in RED (JH suggestions in GREEN paren)
  • Ch 1: Description of Cycle 1 (Lundgren) NA: CLonsdale, AWootten
  • Ch 2: Chapter 2: Receivers (Lundgren) NA: THunter, SCorder
  • Ch 3: Amplitude Calibration Device (Lundgren) JMangum
  • Ch 4: Correlator (Dent; Takeshi for ACA Correlator) NA: THunter
  • Ch 5: Spectral setups (Dent) NA: SCorder, ARemijan
  • Ch 6: Configurations (Leon; Morita for ACA) NA: AWootten, RIndebetouw
  • Ch 7: Simulations (Ruediger, with help from Stephane) NA: RIndebetouw, SSchnee
  • Ch 8: Field Setups (Baltasar) NA: JHibbard, RIndebetouw, HLiszt
  • Ch 9: ALMA Sensitivity Calculator (ABiggs) NA: THunter, HLiszt
  • Ch10: Observing Projects and Logical Data Structure (Baltasar) NA: JHibbard, KSheth (+HLiszt after Dec15)
  • Ch11: Calibration and Calibration Strategies (Baltasar) NA: CBrogan, EFomalont
  • Ch12: Quality Assurance (Baltasar) NA: EFomalont, MLacy
  • Ch 13: Data Archiving (Baltasar) NA: MLacy
  • Ch 14: Appendix
  • Ch 14.1: Antennas (Add the 7m antennas - Masao Saito); Better description of antennas and metrology systems (Kengo with help from Andreas) NA: JMangum
  • Ch 14.2 Antenna Foundations NA: AWootten
  • Ch 14.3 Antenna Transportation NA: NONE
  • Ch 14.4 Cryostat NA: XXX
  • Ch 14.5 LO & IF System NA: XXX
  • Ch 14.6 Reference & LO Signal generation & Distribution NA: XXX
  • Ch 14.7 Delay corrections and Sideband Separation NA: SCorder
  • Ch 14.8: Limitations and rules for spectral setups (Dent) NA: HLiszt
  • Ch 14.9: Description of ACA NA: AWootten

Deadlines
  • November 18: First version of updates to be sent to Andreas
  • December 1: Deadline for review by DSO and some ARC staff
  • December 16: First version ready to be sent out to a larger audience
  • March 16: First version ready to be sent out to a larger audience
  • March 30: Comments on Mar16 version due (vers0.6)
  • April 09: Better version available
  • April 23: comments on better version due
  • May 09: Cycle1 candidate version due
  • May 14: comments on candidates version due

-- JohnHibbard - 2011-11-09
Topic attachments
I Attachment Action Size Date Who Comment
AssignmentsTechnicalHandbook.pdfpdf AssignmentsTechnicalHandbook.pdf manage 53 K 2011-11-09 - 22:34 JohnHibbard DSO assignments for Technical Handbook Cycle 1 update
Cycle_1_Capabilities_Nov9_2011.pdfpdf Cycle_1_Capabilities_Nov9_2011.pdf manage 58 K 2011-11-09 - 22:35 JohnHibbard Draft of Cycle 1 capabilities (to be finalized by Dec 1)
FlagsSheetforTA.draft1.pdfpdf FlagsSheetforTA.draft1.pdf manage 54 K 2011-11-09 - 22:34 JohnHibbard Liz Humphries' "TA Flag Sheet", from Aug2011 TA Workshop
Topic revision: r7 - 2012-03-21, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback