JAO Support Group Meeting, Thursday May 12, 2011, 10:00-11:00 ET (1400-1500UT)

Meeting Logisics

  • Time: 10:00 - 11:00 ET = 1400 - 1500 UT
  • Todays location: CV-ER331
  • 2nd Thursdays Location:
    • Room: CV-ER331
    • Video Hub: 192.33.117.19
    • Domestic Call In: 434-293-7109
    • Int'l Call In: 434-293-6691
  • 4th Thursdays Location:
    • Room: CV-ER209
    • Video Hub: 192.33.117.17
    • Toll-free: 866 560 2652
    • Toll: 517 308 7468
    • Passcode: 2652628

Open Action Items

  1. Action on Tiger Team: Write up use cases for ARCs needing local access to Telcal and OSS and send to JH to take to SciOpsIPT
  2. Action on CSV Liaisons (Stuartt, Ed): Make list of "top 20" issues to know about when traveling for CSV
  3. Action on JH: Write up plan for evolution of Tiger Team effort to as follows: Tiger Team -> reduction of test datasets -> reduction scripts for SV data -> Staff training on SV data -> SV guides for users -> evaluate pipeline performance on SV data -> pipeline hueristics

Agenda

  • Attendees: NM, JH, SC, TH
  • Apologies: EF (in Edinburgh); CB & AW (Iowa CDE)
  • Minutes from last weeks extra-ordinary meeting are posted at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/JAOsupportMinutes2011May05
  • Report from Chile (Al)
  • On-going Activities:
    • Pencil schedule for CSV support: NAASC2Chile (Ed going down June for 2 turnos, Nuria to overlap and do 3 turnos)
    • Any reports on IT4 (Todd/Harvey)? Todd: 26 proposals received, each person will review 4-5, each proposal will have 3 reviewers.
    • TA workshop/pan-ARC lovefest: Stuartt is the NA organizer. Any activity? Anticipated Attendees: AW, HL, TH, CB, SC, SS, JdF, [JH at SciOpsIPT; CB down for Imaging Team work]
    • Stuartt's document "Plans to fill, update, and refine the ALMA Calibrator Catalog" by Corder et al. (circulated via email; see agenda from meeting 2 weeks ago). Priorities & timeline revised by Alison/CSV. Ed will be major player. Nuria will contribute during her trip to JAO. Any thing need done before then? Is support from other JSG members desired/available?
    • User tutorials: USG maintains a google spreadsheet for NAASC staff to express interest in supporting tutorials at various locations at CommunityEventsDays.
      • JH & SC will do NYC, UMass, Boston AAS (May).
    • SciOpsPoliciesWGs: Waiting for final copies of PRP, Ph2 (JH needs to edit the latter). Helpdesk needs updated for JIRA process. Archive/SP is undergoing an iteration.
  • New Activities:
    • RHills proposal on Cycle0 configuration schedule (distributed via email; discussed at Wed ASAC telecon. Apparently not worth consideration of Science IPT).
    • Much-ado about nothing?: http://jira.alma.cl/browse/COMP-5397 (effect of anti-aliasing filter on OT/ASC). JAO using it as excuse to delay deployment of Science Portal from May 13 to May 17. MLacy is getting red-team to test SP internally next Mon-Tue.
    • Activities for Stuartt's visit to NAASC in June - see "Additional Material" below
    • Need to collect any new requirements for R9.0 by end of May. Expected contributions:
      • OT time calculation (via new FBT w/Harvey/Todd): Starting point was what the anticipated capabilities for Cycle1 are. See "Additional Material" below. Discussion: BVV wants to put back spatial dynamic range & may force changes in OT before June 1 - means functionality of OT may change! [It did not]. Telecon tmrw to discuss Single Dish & Total Power. Not discussing the user issues we discussed previously. JH will include these in his submission to SciOpsIPT
      • Ability to run Telcal & OSS from ARCs (see action item)
      • What else? SP? Other OT? (Archive being led by M. Lacy)
    • NA comments on Technical Handbook have been submitted. Will be deployed with updated Science Portal.
  • Next SciOpsIPT f2f meeting: Santiago, July 18-22 (during TA workshop & pan-ARC/JAO love-fest).

Additional Material:

Stuartt's suggestion for June visit (email 4/27/2011)

John - I was wondering what, if anything specific, I should plan on doing in my two weeks in CVille... I had already discussed with Crystal the possibility of going over analysisUtils and see what is needed in real CASA and what makes more sense for us to continue maintaining on the CSV/NAASC side (I say NAASC because Todd has contributed some good stuff already). Kartik was interested in discussing control scripting and linkage with OT-phase II (which is another of my specialties). I could also run over analysisUtils and Tsys "stuff" in regards to ES/SV data. My presentation at the tiger team was too short (ended up with 30 minutes), too hard to do remotely and will probably evolve by the time June rolls around. Proposals should clearly be high on the list as well.

-Stuartt

Assumptions for available Cycle 1 capabilities (email 4/27/2011)

Subject: Re: OT Input for CDR9: Time representation and display discussion group
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:18:00 +0900
From: Daniel Espada <daniel.espada@nao.ac.jp>
To: hliszt@nrao.edu
CC:Baltasar Vila vilaro <bvilavil@alma.cl>, thunter@nrao.edu, 
Andy Biggs <abiggs@eso.org>, Liz Humphreys <ehumphre@eso.org>,
saigo.kazuya@nao.ac.jp
Dear all,

very simplified, but here is a list of cycle 1 requirements from a presentation A. Peck gave recently (extracted from https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/pub/ALMA/ASAC28Feb11Agenda/Peck_ASAC_furthertesting.pdf):

  • Any remaining Cycle 0 “stretch” items
    • Full polarization
    • Single dish
  • Sub-arrays (2?)
  • Support for ACA. (Hope for 6 antennas)
  • Four quadrants for 64-input correlator.
  • Different modes/baseband + multiple region modes.
  • Fast Frequency Referencing – i.e. with pretuning
  • Zero-spacing (Fast scanning or nutator?)
  • Solar observing – short integrations, Stokes V + ?
  • More/better - mosaics, calibration, polarization
  • Support for fixed source on Chajnantor peak

It would be good to have a more updated (and quantified) version of it.

To the list in my previous email, I would include whether standard calibration includes phase transfer/fast switching.

cheers,

Daniel

-- JohnHibbard - 2011-05-10

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > JAOSupportGroup > JAOsupportMinutes2011May12
Topic revision: 2011-06-06, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback