JAO Support Group Meeting, Thursday Mar 17, 2011, 10:30-11:00 ET (1430-1500UT)

Meeting Logisics

  • Time: 10:30 - 11:00 ET = 1430 - 1500 UT
  • Todays location: CV-ER209
  • 2nd Thursdays Location:
    • Room: CV-ER331
    • Video Hub:
    • Domestic Call In: 434-293-7109
    • Int'l Call In: 434-293-6691
  • 4th Thursdays Location:
    • Room: CV-ER209
    • Video Hub:
    • Toll-free: 866 560 2652
    • Toll: 517 308 7468
    • Passcode: 2652628

Open Action Items

  1. Action on CSV Liaisons (Stuartt, Ed): Make list of "top 20" issues to know about when traveling for CSV
  2. Action on JH: Write up plan for evolution of Tiger Team effort to as follows: Tiger Team -> reduction of test datasets -> reduction scripts for SV data -> Staff training on SV data -> SV guides for users -> evaluate pipeline performance on SV data -> pipeline hueristics


  • Attendees:
  • Minutes from last weeks meeting are posted at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/JAOsupportMinutes2011Feb24
  • Reports from Chile (Al or Stuartt)
  • Pencil schedule for CSV support: NAASC2Chile
    • Any candidates for June-July-Aug? Decide now that Ed is back. Al after TA in July; Nuria possibly July, if overlap identified. SC possibly Nov if needed.
  • Latest cycle0 capabilities provided by Richard Hills (sent out separately via email). I guess Richard does not want this to go out too widely, but I think its critical we get eyes on it
  • Impending SP/OT test: Mar17-22 (see "Additional Material" below for OT description). Archive not available till early next week, so won't be able to register, set PI, submit proposals till after that.
  • If Stuartt is available (this is his off week): what if anything can be done to help with the development of the Calibration tool & calibrator database?
  • SciOpsIPT issues:
    • SciOpsPoliciesWGs: TA Guidelines being worked on; waiting for final copies of PRP, Ph2.
    • My summary of last weeks f2f meeting posted to http://sciopswiki.alma.cl/index.php/March_10-11%2C_2011%2C_in_Garching#Summary_.28from_JH.27s_notes.29. I can repeat below if you want.
    • Last week we addressed question from CIPT Planning meeting: do ARCs need remote access to TelCal. What we said then: We think not. If Observing Script Simulator (OSS) can be run outside of ACS, do not need ACS. Should be available at any local STEs. There is an STE at NTC, but w/old version of s/w. If and when we decide we need this, will have to find out who else uses this and coordinate any s/w upgrades. For now we can use STEs in Chile (though these might get restricted in the future). Subsequent Tiger Team meeting lead to the opposite conclusion - that we DO want to run TelCal and ACS from the ARCs. JH has entered this info into SciOpsIPT AI tracker. JH related this information at recent sciops f2f meeting, but CIPT said they want us to generate use cases - action for Tiger team?
    • Next f2f meeting: Santiago, July 18-22 (during TA workshop & pan-ARC/JAO love-fest)
  • If time: I should say something about BVV's proposal for getting UV coverage
  • User tutorials: USG maintains a google spreadsheet for NAASC staff to express interest in supporting tutorials at various locations at CommunityEventsDays.
    • HL, TH, CB, AW did Sante Fe last week. NM did Caltech this week.
    • JH & SC will do NYC, Boston AAS (May). JH will do STScI (April 18)
    • TH also down for CfA in April
    • NM will also do CV-based events
  • First cut at a Chile travel FAQ posted to https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NAASCTravelChileFAQ. I have asked Lyndele to work with a number of you (Kartik, Tony, Stuartt, Todd, Al, Ed, Nuria) to refine.
  • Integrated Test 3: Test over. I will post final reports if/when the become available

Additional Marterial:

Email from A. Bridger about Mar 17-22, 2011 OT test:

Subject: ALMA OT Cycle 0 Release Candidate 3
From: "Bridger, \(Alan\) \(ROE,UKATC\)" <Alan.Bridger@stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:46:12 +0000 (GMT)
To: <jhibbard@nrao.edu>, <pandrean@eso.org>, <sachiko.k.okumura@nao.ac.jp>, "Andy Biggs" <abiggs@eso.org>, "Liz Humphreys" <ehumphre@eso.org>, "Rein H. Warmels" <rwarmels@eso.org>, "Suzanna Randall" <srandall@eso.org>, "Mark G. Rawlings" <mrawling@alma.cl>, "Harvey Liszt" <hliszt@nrao.edu>, "Lars-Ake Nyman" <lnyman@eso.org>, "Kartik Sheth" <astrokartik@gmail.com>
CC: "Gianni Raffi" <graffi@eso.org>, "jibsen" <jibsen@eso.org>, "Rodrigo Javier Tobar Carrizo" <rtobar@eso.org>, "Stewart McLay" <sam@roe.ac.uk>, "Stewart Williams" <sjw@roe.ac.uk>, "Marcus Schilling" <mschilli@eso.org>, "Hiroshi Yatagai" <yatagai.hiroshi@nao.ac.jp>, "Brian Glendenning" <bglenden@nrao.edu>, "Erich Schmid" <eschmid@eso.org>, "Bridger, \(Alan\) \(ROE,UKATC\)" <Alan.Bridger@stfc.ac.uk>

All -

The ALMA OT Cycle 0 Release Candidate 3 is now available for downloading and testing.

(Please note I did not announce RC2 widely - it was used mostly to test out the deployment of the OT to the various ARCs.)

Some release notes highlighting the changes to this, with respect to the RC2 OT release, can be found at http://almasw.hq.eso.org/almasw/bin/view/OBSPREP/ReleaseNotesForCycle0RC3. Further links in that page take you to the release notes for RC2 and RC1. There are some known problems listed there that we intend to fix in the next week or so, but obviously please report other problems.

The OT team would appreciate it if you, and some of your DSO/ARC colleagues, could try out this OT, paying particular attention to the changes, but as usual reporting any issues you find. This is intended to repesent the FINAL release candidate before the cycle 0 CfP (though we may issue one more). After this release we intend to:

  • Fix major bugs
  • Add the updated documentation (it remains at IT3 level)
  • Update the TA pages for the cycle 0 issues.
  • Fix any minor presentational issues, e.g. labels that could be clearer - we would be grateful if you can suggest alterntive wording for labels that are unclear.

This OT will be available for download from each ARC, but those downloads are not yet in place and may take a day or so - ask your local represesntative to tell you when they are in place (Kelly Sharp, Felix Stoehr, Hirsohi Yatagai). We would certainly encourage you to test the local installations.

In the meantime you may use the Edinburgh installation: http://www.roe.ac.uk/ukatc/projects/alma/almaot/

This OT can submit to the Santiago Archive, but the Archive is not yet open - hopefully it will open early next week - we will let you know when submissions are possible.

Please share with your colleagues.

Thanks Alan

-- JohnHibbard - 2011-03-17
Topic revision: r1 - 2011-03-17, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback