JAO Support Group Meeting, Thursday Jan 13, 2011, 2:30-3:00 ET (1930-2000UT)

Meeting Logisics

  • Time: 14:30 - 15:00 ET = 19:30 - 20:00 UT
  • Location: CV-ER331
  • Video Hub: 192.33.117.19
  • Domestic Call In: 434-293-7109
  • Int'l Call In: 434-293-6691

Open Action Items

  1. Action on CSV Liaisons (Stuartt, Ed): Make list of "top 20" issues to know about when traveling for CSV
  2. Action on JH: Write up plan for evolution of Tiger Team effort to as follows: Tiger Team -> reduction of test datasets -> reduction scripts for SV data -> Staff training on SV data -> SV guides for users -> evaluate pipeline performance on SV data -> pipeline hueristics

Agenda

  • Attendees: JH, NM, SC (via skype)
  • Minutes from last weeks meeting are posted at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/JAOsupportMinutes2010Dec09
  • Reports from Chile (Ed or Stuartt)
  • Pencil schedule for CSV support: NAASC2Chile
    • Any candidates for June-July-Aug? none identified. Will ask again at next meeting
  • User tutorials: USG maintains a list for staff to express interest in supporting tutorials at various locations at CommunityEventsDays
  • First cut at a Chile travel FAQ posted to https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/NAASCTravelChileFAQ. I have asked Lyndele to work with a number of you (Kartik, Tony, Stuartt, Todd, Al, Ed, Nuria) to refine.
  • IT3: no issues reported
    • JH will go to Santiago for Panel meeting part of IT3. SC may be able to attend some of the meetings Feb 15-16 (goes to OSF Feb17)
  • SciOpsIPT f2f meeting next week in Victoria (see proposed agenda items at end of this page). Other issues to be raised? Let me know if you think of any
  • CIPT Planning meeting in Socorro, Jan 24-25. JH, CB, DH attending
  • Meeting on "How to actually execute ALMA observations", Socorro, Jan. 26 - 28. See description at end of this page. JH, CB, TH, HL, EF will attend. Anyone else?
  • Ed will stay in Socorro after that meeting to work with pipeline group. Returns to CV mid-Feb.
  • Note: no Tiger Team meeting today.

Additional Marterial:

Proposed Agenda Topics for SciOpsIPT f2f meeting, Victoria, Jan 18-20, 2011

  • Change requests procedures:
    • Walk through the spreadsheet
    • Early Science SBs: "layman general public": addition to the whole "scientific proposal" one paragraph for observers explaining in layman terms what is special/interesting/compelling about this observation (suggested by Denis)
  • Subsystem scientists
  • The PRP Implementation Plan
    • Go through the Plan
    • Dicussion on duplications of proposals (PRP policy subgroup meeting)
  • Policies: internal and 'high level' ones:
    • The status of the work of the policy working groups
    • Any remaining policies?
    • Approval process for policies, procedures and rules
    • Review by advisory committees
  • Agreement about links from ARCs' web sites and documents to JAO website
  • TES subproject (Towards Early Science):
    • The Project
    • Milestones during 2011
    • Schedule of events during 2011
  • UP and helpdesk: opening to the public in March
    • Who will lead this activity?
    • Purpose of March opening
    • How and to who will the opening be announced? (cannot be confused with the CfP)
    • UP Readiness:
      • UP setup (distributed. Note that the SCO archive and final JAO UP installation will most likely not be ready
      • Institution list (needs to be finalized and implemented before March 1). Who is responsible for the EU list?
      • Text in the UP for this opening
      • UP is now a "Science Portal" served from ARCs - changes "branding" sensitivity. Any discussion needed? (see draft Archive/UP policy document)
      • Path towards pan-Executive user registries (ALMA/NRAO/NAOJ/ESO)
    • Helpdesk setup and readiness
      • Helpdesk staffing, procedures etc.
  • CfP
  • Technical Assessments
  • Phase 2
  • ALMA-affiliated supporting software (oxford simulator, splatalogue) - process for validation/release/updates
  • Problem Reporting systems
    • JIRA for JAO-ARCs internal communication
    • JIRA for ARC-CIPT subsystems [UP, OT, Ph1M, PT, Archive, CASA/Simdata, splatalogue, helpdesk] (any other tools? Oxford Simulator?)
  • Internal Staff training - materials/sessions. What is needed?
    • Helpdesk? UP/registry? Technical Assessment, Phase2, CASA? Archive?
  • Status of production of user documentation
  • Shared Calendars & training materials
  • Item for Jan 20: Decision and formulation of new requirements that were discussed during this meeting

Description of meeting on "How to actually execute ALMA observations", Socorro, Jan. 26 - 28

Email from Jeff Kern:

Dear All,

To achieve it's goal of ensuring the observing modes are ready for early science this meeting will need to focus on the details of creating and executing scheduling blocks. To ensure that we focus on the technical details we plan to run this workshop driven by the actual execution of scheduling blocks.

The plan is that participants should bring to the meeting one or more projects created in the OT. We will simulate the execution of these blocks at the meeting and compare the simulated to results to the expected. Resolving the differences between these (and ensuring that they can be created from the science goals in the OT) will consume most of the workshop.

Please before you come to the meeting ensure that you have done the following:
  • Downloaded and installed the correct version of the ALMA-OT. Alan will distribute information about which version to use and how to acquire it. Please note that this is not the same version to be used for the third integrated test.
  • Have created one or more observing projects in the modes designated for early science. In particular create an appropriate science goal, and generate the SBs from this goal. Review the SBs and ensure that you find what you expected to find in them, if necessary make modifications to the SB manually and record what changes you needed to make.

I look forward to seeing you in Socorro.

- Jeff

-- JohnHibbard - 2011-01-13

This topic: ALMA > WebHome > NAASC > JAOSupportGroup > JAOsupportMinutes2011Jan13
Topic revision: 2011-01-13, JohnHibbard
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback