DRAFT EPSCoR Scholarships
2013 Rocks! is committed to broadening participation by women and under-represented minorities, as we prepare for the exciting adventures ahead in the new era.
In support of the effort to broaden participation, EPSCoR
Scholarship Travel Awards are available to enable attendance at 2013 Rocks! These scholarships are intended to benefit upper-level undergraduates and graduate students, but early-career scientists (1-3 years post-doc) may also apply.
EPSCoR Scholarship Travel Awards cover:
- Round-trip economy airfare to Hawaii from the nearest major airport
- hotel room for 4 nights at the conference hotel (double occupancy)
All other expenses (registration fee, ground transportation, and meals) are the responsibility of the student
All applicants must meet the following criteria. Additionally, priority will be given to applicants that further the stated goals of this workshop: to increase participation by women, under-represented minorities and residents of ESPCoR
- Early Career - upper-level undergraduate, graduate or 1-3 years post-doc
- Financial need
- Recommendation by faculty advisor
- In order to foster a sense of personal commitment and participation, awardees will be expected to pay the registration fee. With qualifying-need demonstration, students may request full or partial waiver of the registration fee.*
All applicants must submit the following by February 1, 2013:
- Statement of Interest - 500 word essay that addresses the following:
- your career objectives and research interests
- how attendance at 2013 Rocks! will enhance your educational and/or career goals
- how your background and/or educational achievements prepare you for full participation in 2013 Rocks!
- Academic Transcript (unofficial copy)
- Letter of Recommendation from faculty or academic advisor that addresses the following:
- your academic background
- how participation in 2013 Rocks! will benefit you
- how your participation will benefit 2013 Rocks!
Students receiving EPSCoR
Scholarships will be expected to:
- Work with their advisor (or an assigned mentor if an advisor is not readily available) to prepare and present a poster for presentation at 2013 Rocks!
- Participate in all workshop sessions
- Agree to be identified as an EPSCoR Scholar
- Be prepared to network: bring business cards and be ready to talk with more established scientists
- Respond to an evaluation survey following the workshop.