: 20080507 - AH (based on Debra's notes)
Start the ALMA OT:
Click on "Phase-II" tab (Do NOT work in Phase I - it is not ready)
In the top level project structure - fill in
Click on Science Plan in project structure
- PI name, Project name, Version
- project code = comm1 = commissioning #1
- Click "Tool" --> "New Science Goal"
You will get a new science goal shown under the Science Plan. It will have Field Setup, Spectral setup, Control Paramters, and Calibration setup parameters.
"Expand" the science goal and fill in parameters:
Click on Options --> Telescope --> ATF
- Field Setup: (use "Forms" tab)
- Orion IRc2: Literature: RA(J2000) = 05 35 14.5094 Dec(J2000) = -05 22 30.471 OT Resolve: RA(J2000) = 05 35 14.488 Dec(J2000) = -05 22 29.316 (close enough)
- Source velocity = 9 km/s Change "topo" to "lsrk" velocity (this should be the default but it isnnt')
- Single point field
- field center = 0 0 relative to source coordinates
- Spectral Setup:
- Spectral type = Continuum
- Rest Frequency = 100.075 GHz (HC3N(11-10)
- Control Parameters:
- angular res = 1"
- largest scale = 30"
- sensitivity = 5 mJy
- ETC: 2 GHz BW, 100 GHz, ATF, 2 ants, 12m diam: sensititivy = 5 mJy => exposure time ~ 50s - OK keep rest as defaults (polarization=1 & request ACA=No)
- Calibration Setup Parameters: select "system" (user not supported yet)
(if source will not be visible in Chile)
Generate an SB from this science goal:
- In project tree: click on "Science Goal"
- "Tool" -> "Generate SBs from the selected Goal"
In the Target Forms tab scroll down:
- Expand the entire tree in the newly generated science goal
Target Spectral tab
- Integration time = red 0.0. -> Set it to 320 s
CONFIG 1 of the correlator Spectral setup shows values: ERROR! in bandwidth and Resolution values of the Spectral Window description. I did not change this what I think might be good values. All visualization and LO settings are all correct.
- Select the Target and modify the integration time in the Spectral Spec
pane (it assumes a full ALMA - must modify to be appropriate for ATF).
- Spectral Spec: Integration time = 320 sec (total time on source = 5.3min - NOT USED NOW)
- Correlator Configuration:
- Integration duration = 210 (210 x 48ms dumps ==> 10.008s integrations)
- Sub scan duration = 5 (5 x 10.008s ints = 50 sec subscan length)
Thus, I should get 1 subscan, each of 50 sec length with 5 x 10.008s integrations in each subscan.
Workaround to a bug in baseband configuration:
- BaseBand Configurations:
- For continuum; TFB Mode=103 is OK - this means we are NOT using the TFB and we are in Time Division Mode (TDM).
- For line; TFB Mode should be 1 => roughly 8192 channels minus about 8% less due to overlap when stitching together the bands for a total of about 7689 total channels.
Now Bandwidth and Resolution still reads Error!
the baseband config in the table that has the errors. Then click on "Add"
to add a new configuration and now the errors will go aways. Band width should be 2 GHz and Resolution should be 244 KHz and TFB mode = 1.
- Scroll down a bit - *open up the Channel Average Bands *. This is wrong - we are on TFB mode 1 but number of channels = 8192 but it should be less because of the stitching.
- Set Sub Band Set = 0 * Start Channel = 100 * Number of Channels = 7500
Run the calibration selection tool
- Advanced Settings values should all be OK and left to their default values.
- "Tool" --> "ALMA Calibration Selection Tool": Comes up with the Target (Orion) coordinates.
- In Cal selection GUI: Enter radius of 20 deg and Click "Filter"
CARMA script generator shows list of good mm calibrators:
Cal RA(2000) Dec(2000) deg flux flux
from at at when
src 3mm 1mm measured
0609-157 06:09:40.9 -15:42:40.7 13.35 1.8 1.2 Jan 16, 2008
0423-013 04:23:15.8 -01:20:33.1 18.41 4.5 2.3 Jan 21, 2008
3C120 04:33:11.1 +05:21:15.6 18.84 1.9 1.1 Jan 21, 2008
0530+135 05:30:56.4 +13:31:55.2 18.94 3.6 2.7 Jan 25, 2008
*Click on J0530+135 and then click button "Select As...". In popup GUI, deselect all but "Phase"
- Select: Link to same setup (same continuum obs)
- Note: if this were a line obs of orion, then
- click "copy to new setup"
- Click: OK
In SB in the project tree, you now have:
- Resources: 2 Field sources: Primary: Orion IRc2 *Calibrator J0530+135
*2 Observing Parameters: Orion IRc2 Params
Set up the PhaseCalParameters
- Name = J0530+135
- Cycle time = 120 sec
- Default integration time = 20 sec
In the project tree, click on the sched block target source information.
On Target source, SchedBlock
Keep the defaults of "Standard Mode" with Mode Name = Single Field Interferometry
This assumes you have a script in the archive that will be used called SingelFieldInterferometry
- Click on Indefinite Repeat (as long as this is a commissioning script allow it to be run multiple times).
If the script is not available or you do not want to use it, then:
- *UN*click "Standard Mode"
- Select "Mode Name" = Expert Mode. "Mode Type" becomes Expert
- Obs. Procedure says to enter your own... go for it! When you have edited in the expert mode script: save the file and clicked 'x', obs procedure shows up in SchedBlock input. *click "Verify"
If desired, add a pointing calibration:
Run the calibration selection tool
*"Tool" --> "ALMA Calibration Selection Tool": Comes up with the Target (Orion) coordinates.
*In Cal selection GUI: Enter radius of 20 deg and Click "Filter"
Select the brightest quasar
that is relatively close. This is J0423-013 = 5 Jy at 3mm measured in Nov 2000.
- Click on J0423-013 and then click button "Select As...".
- In popup GUI, deselect all but "Pointing"
- Select: Link to same setup (same continuum obs) Note: if this were a line obs of orion, then click "copy to new setup" Click: OK
In the project tree click on the last entry: PointCalParameters
Fill in the following values:
Name = point J0423
Cycle Time = 3600 s (one hr, just do it once at the beginning)
- Cycle time is not used right now by control. Default Integration Time = 50 s (5 x 50 s = total time for the pointing) Desired Accuracy = 5" (not used right now) Pointing Method = fivepoints (other methods not implemented) Maximum Elapsed Time = 600 s (but this is also not used right now) Excursion = 30 arcsec
It would be good to click on something that says "take the best
value for the given frequency" - this is an enhancement request.
Save the project to disk:
- File --> Export --> to file Orion-IRc2.aot
- If you are paranoid, do this early and often through out this procedure...
If you are running the ALMA-OT on the real-time machines crc-01 or
crc-02, then archive the project so it is available for scheduling:
Click on File - Submit
You should get a diaglog box saying something like:
- Project Orion SFI-test (1) stored to repository with id = uid://X1eb/X5979/X1
. You should now be able to see the project in the scheduling panel in the OMC
- 07 May 2008