2006-01-19 ALMA Calibration Group Telecon Agenda and Minutes
Table of Contents:
ALMA Calibration Group Telecon |
- Date: January 19, 2006 (Thursday)
- Time: 15:00 UT
- Duration: 1.0 hr
- USA Toll Free Number: 1-877-919-7148
- International: +1-203-566-1039
- Passcode: 5 1 0 4 6 8
- Leader: JeffMangum
Action Items from Last Telecon
| Assigned To || Due Date || Description || State || Notify || |
Agenda and Minutes
NOTE: Discussion from the telecon is shown in italic.
- Richard Hills
- Tony Remijan
As noted by AlWootten
, an action item for Science from the Systems Requirements Review (SRR) was to fill out the "calibration examples". These "examples" should be used as "atomic" descriptions of each type of calibration, upon which we can build descriptions ("use cases", if you will) of how each type of calibration will be executed.
We now have drafts of a few of these example documents in-hand. A Calibration Examples Wiki
page has been set-up for this group writing task. A final version of a document which describes the step-by-step process by which amplitude calibration is done, by RobertLucas
, has been posted to give an example of what I think we are looking for.
The following "volunteers" have been assigned to write these documents:
First drafts of several of the "example" documents were posted to the CalExamples wiki by September 15, 2005 (Thanks!). All should read the drafts and comment to the author with cc to the group. Those drafts which have not yet been posted should be made available to the group by February 1, 2006 so that everyone will have time to read them by our our next telecon.
- Amplitude and Flux Calibration (RobertLucas, JeffMangum)
- Phase Calibration (MarkHoldaway)
- Bandpass Calibration (RobertLucas)
- Polarization Calibration (StevenMyers)
- Pointing Calibration (JeffMangum)
- Antenna Location Calibration (MarkHoldaway)
- Antenna and Electronic Delay Calibration (RobertLucas)
- Optics Calibration (BaltasarVilaVilaro)
- Total Power Calibration (MarkHoldaway)
- Primary Beam Calibration (MarkHoldaway)
- ACA Calibration Issues (EdFomalont, MarkHoldaway)
Amplitude Calibration Subsystem Development Reports
- Berkeley Absolute Flux Calibration System (JimGibson)
- Gave talk at URSI Boulder January 2006.
- Semi-Transparent Vane (STV) Calibration System (ThomasWilson)
- Need only to get final report from Jesus Martin-Pintado. Reminder has been sent.
- Multi/Dual-Load (M/DL) Calibration System (Matt Carter)
Weather (Ancilliary) Measurement Devices
has started working on actual hardware specification for weather instrument systems.
Calibration Needs for Cross-Correlation of the ACA and the Main Array (EdFomalont)
The most relevant question within this topic for the calibration group is whether there is any significant gain for the ACA and ALMA arrays to be cross-correlated. The first-cut answer is "not enough in view of the large effort needed for this capability". See CalAca
is iterating on this issue further with NAOJ scientists.
Please see the
ACA Calibration Plan
which was discussed at the ACA System Review. Please post comments/discussion on this issue to the CalAca wiki. In order to close this issue by our next telecon, please comment by January 15, 2006.
See the October 2005 ASAC Report
, section 4 (their Charge 2). The ASAC would like clarification on a few issues regarding amplitude calibration stability and polarization and primary beam calibration requirements. Please post comments to this issue on the CalAsac wiki. In order to close this issue by our next telecon, please comment by January 15, 2006.
WVRs Tests on the SMA
Cambridge WVR currently being mounted for testing on an SMA antenna. Radiometers on-site in mid-December. Two prototypes (correlation and dual-dicke) systems being installed now. Will stay on the SMA through April 2006.
ALMA Science Requirements
The ALMA Science Requirements
is nearing the end of the approval process. Please read and comment.
Date of Next Phone Meeting
The next ALMA Calibration Group telecon will be 2006, February 9th 15:00 UT
- 19 Jan 2006