2005-08-11 ALMA Calibration Group Telecon Agenda and Minutes
Table of Contents:
ALMA Calibration Group Telecon |
- Date: August 11, 2005 (Thursday)
- Time: 15:00 UT
- Duration: 1.0 hr
- USA Toll Free Number: 1-877-919-7148
- International: +1-203-566-1039
- Passcode: 5 1 0 4 6 8
- Leader: JeffMangum
Action Items from Last Telecon
| Assigned To || Due Date || Description || State || Notify || |
Agenda and Minutes
NOTE: Discussion from the telecon is shown in italic.
- Matt Carter
Thanks to those who contributed to the recent significant revision to the Calibration Plan
. More work needs to be done on this document before it can be considered "done". Recall that we have organized ourselves into small groups concentrate on specific sections of the plan. I list below these groups, with the "lead volunteer" denoted in bold:
With regards the updates to the individual Calibration Plan chapters, with the exception of the changes identified through the Action Items, the Calibration Plan appears to be in pretty good shape.
All group members should read through the current version of the plan and suggest changes.
- Amplitude and Flux Calibration (Welch, Butler, Carter, Gibson, Holdaway, Mangum, Martin-Pintado, Kawabe, Wilson)
- Phase Calibration (Hills, Holdaway, Mundy, Richer, Stirling, Wootten)
- Bandpass Calibration (Guilloteau, Bacmann)
- Polarization Calibration (Myers, Holdaway, Laing)
- Pointing Calibration (Mangum, Lucas, Holdaway)
- Antenna Location Calibration (Conway, Wright, Morita)
- Antenna and Electronic Delay Calibration (Lucas)
- Optics Calibration (Butler, Saito)
- Total Power Calibration (Holdaway, Mangum, Mundy, Kawabe)
- Primary Beam Calibration (Holdaway, Wilson)
- Archiving and Accessing Calibration Quantities (Lucas, Mangum)
As noted by AlWootten, an action item for Science from the Systems Requirements Review (SRR) was to fill out the "calibration examples" which should accompany the Calibration Plan. The examples should be relevant to the DRSP and be generally applicable.
We need to have drafts of these example documents in-hand by 15 September. A Calibration Examples Wiki page has been set-up for this task. A near-final(?) version of a document which describes the step-by-step process by which amplitude calibration is done, by RobertLucas and JeffMangum, has been posted to give an example of what I think we are looking for.
The following "volunteers" have been assigned to write these documents:
Please submit first-drafts of each document to the CalExamples wiki by September 15, 2005.
- Amplitude and Flux Calibration (RobertLucas, JeffMangum)
- Phase Calibration (MarkHoldaway)
- Bandpass Calibration (RobertLucas)
- Polarization Calibration (StevenMyers)
- Pointing Calibration (JeffMangum)
- Antenna Location Calibration (MarkHoldaway)
- Antenna and Electronic Delay Calibration (RobertLucas)
- Optics Calibration (MasaoSaito)
- Total Power Calibration (MarkHoldaway)
- Primary Beam Calibration (DarrelEmerson)
Amplitude Calibration Subsystem Development Reports
- Berkeley Absolute Flux Calibration System (JimGibson)
- Have been making waveguide loss measurements.
- Continue to work on data analysis of measurements made at BIMA last fall.
- Please review and comment on the draft report that Jim has produced.
- Semi-Transparent Vane (STV) Calibration System (ThomasWilson)
- No news regarding STV material measurements in Madrid lab.
- Multi-Load (ML) Calibration System (Matt Carter)
- No new news to report.
- Likely will produce a final version of the experimental report associated with this system by the amplitude calibration device review in Grenoble at the end of August 2005.
Weather (Ancilliary) Measurement Devices
At the 2004-11-09
started a discussion of the state of the "ancilliary" measurement devices (generally, weather measurement devices). AlWootten
pointed out that the Project will soon go through a "rebaselining" exercise, which will involve a reorganization of the scope of the Project. Since ancilliary devices are not currently funded, we need to make the case for the necessary ancilliary devices now
A revised version of the "ancilliary" measurement devices specifications and requirements document has been produced by JohnRicher
and subsequently modified by JeffMangum
. Please read the most recent version located on the CalAncillary
wiki. We will discuss this latest version with the intent of finalising.
All agreed that the current version is ready for submission. JeffMangum will submit.
Calibration Specifications and Requirements (JeffMangum)
Please read the latest version of the Calibration Specifications and Requirements document (sent previously to the group). Please send comments to JeffMangum
This should be ready for putting through the Change Request process, replacing the outdated current version, Chapter 3 of the defunct Project Book.
Date of Next Phone Meeting
The next ALMA Calibration Group telecon will be 2005, September 15th 15:00 UT
. Note that this is one week later than our normal date (15:00 UT on the second thursday of each month).
- 11 Aug 2005