ASAC Telecon 6th Sep 2006, 1430 UT
Emerson, Vila-Vilaro, Beasley, Wootten, Turner, T Wilson, Laing, Richer,
Testi, Schilke and Cernicharo. + others?
Al confused the time on the ESAC schedule, which was CET, with UT so the
meeting began earlier than advertised.
Apologies from Bally, C Wilson and Blain. =
Tony Beasley gave a rapid project update, some highlights included: =
- Integration of Japan into the project is ongoing. =
- Bicentenario option for Santiago office is still being examined, but
it will cost 100kEuro to keep the option open for much longer. We
don't want to spend this unless there is a reasonable chance it will
get ESO approval.
- OSF construction contract now signed, significantly later than had
been hoped. The 18 month build has begun. Vertex SEF to start in
September, nearly the size of the OSF itself. First Vertex antenna will
be constructed on the holo test pad.
- 500 people expected to be working at the OSF site soon - enlarging
polyclinic to cope.
- Communications: a microwave link up to Cerro Chico, then IR laser to
the AOS TB, provides an interim solution to linking the OSF and the
AOS. 10 Mbits/s. The final link will be fibre on poles.
- Power supply: the letter asking for utility companies to consider grid
power supply is being sent now. Expect meeting with companies over
the coming months to see how feasible and costly this is. =
- M3 have designed several possible roads layouts. Mark Holdaway is
starting Y+ configuration design based on road plans.
- FE: 1st available in March 07, next in August 07. Where to send them -
ATF or OSF? No clear resolution of this issue yet, depends on how
integration tests roll out at ATF. Likely to be the ATF under
current assumptions. =
- Software: new progress reports will soon be available
- SE is ongoing. AIV temp building under construction, outfitting to be
finished March 07. Science IPT focus moving towards commissioning, a
construction activity which is of concern to your PM. We need
targeted responses to needs. Staffing profile will be hard to
- Vertex P2DR
approaching. Alcatel equivalent in December, also final
DR for transporter. Some CREs have gone thru. Also one piece
subreflector change adopted.
- BE proceeds with lots of testing at PSI. Slow work. Move to ATF is
delayed but the discoveries are best attacked at the AOC. First
quadrant correlator is done but its move to Chile needs to be
Tony reminded us that he is unable to make the Florence meeting.
Upcoming ASAC meeting
Richer briefly reminded the ASAC of the charges to be considered in
Florence. As well as the three formal charges from the Board, we will
have some discussion of two other issues: Time Allocation, and
operations and ARCs. In this context, it was emphasised that the new
baseline in the operations plan, namely a single TAC/PRC, means single
process and assessment for all proposals. Frequency of TAC/PRC meetings
is a separate issue for discussion.
Richer will assign reading assignments for Charge 1 by email.
Meeting logistics. There will be no formal dinner on the Friday night,
but it was suggested people gather in the hotel foyer of the Annalena
(possibly, separately in the Boboli as well?) at around 8pm to meet up.
- 11 Sep 2006