ALMA Science Analysis Software meeting
Wednesday 12th October - Friday 14th October
520 Edgemont Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Driving Directions & Area Maps
Link to Agenda
Full participant list: https://science.nrao.edu/php/alma/almasoft_registrants.php
An ALMA science software development meeting was held in Charlottesville 12th-14th October 2011. There were 41 registered participants, mostly from US institutions, but including several from Canada and Europe, and three remote participants (from Chile and Taiwan). The aim of the workshop was to stimulate interest in applications to the ALMA development funding that were related to enhancing science software for ALMA. In particular, we wished to bring together possible consortia to work on these proposals, possibly as design studies funded by the NRAO call to be issued imminently.
Significant conclusions of the workshop were: (1) a 3D viewer, with the ability to perform (at least) simple science analysis (fit sources, extract a spectrum and interactively fit lines etc) was a high priority, (2) the general interstellar chemistry, radiative transfer and excitation problem remains very difficult, but a simple approach (the ability to map molecules, and perform simple LTE fits to identify multiple "weeds" from individual molecules) are worth pursuing, (3) existing algorithms for clump-finding in large datacubes should be exploited and made into user-friendly tasks. We also recommended that a clear path be established for user-contributed CASA scripts, so that useful routines can eventually be rolled into the regular CASA release, perhaps via a progression from the user-forum through CASAguides and ultimately into the CASA codebase. This has the dual benefits of enhancing CASA's capabilities at very low cost, while also increasing community involvement in CASA development. Finally, it was emphasized that software maintenance also needs to be considered, and that any proposal for development funding should include a maintenance plan.
Wednesday, October 12 Dinner
Please RSVP for dinner here
6:30pm reservation under NRAO for 30 people
Directions to Downtown Grille from NRAO and Residence Inn
201 W. Main St., Charlottesville, 22902
- Logistical Support in Charlottesville: Lyndele von Schill - +1-434-296-0308. If you run into travel problems after hours, call Lyndele at 434-295-4481.
Please use the following to participate via videoconferencing:
Video Number: IP number 184.108.40.206 + Extension number 6518 Dialing Instructions for different video systems:
- Polycom: 220.127.116.11##6518 (Note: if using an old Viewstation model use address book method listed below or send your IP address)
- Sony: 18.104.22.168#6518
- Codian: 22.214.171.124!6518
- Some Systems: 126.96.36.199,,6518
- Tandberg, some: 192*33*117*12**6518#
- Tandberg some: firstname.lastname@example.org (To get the @ with a remote, you press and hold # to activate abc mode on the remote
- Address book method: Create an address book entry with 188.8.131.52 as the address and 6518 as the extension then dial from the address book entry.
- Send your IP address, we will configure your system as dial-in participant then you can just dial 184.108.40.206
If you'd like to test this connection beforehand, please contact Gene Runion at 434-296-0327 or via email at grunion at nrao dot edu
If you need transportation between your hotel and NRAO OR
are willing to provide transportation, please sign up here
. If you need a ride, please also leave a comment at the bottom of the form to let potential 'Drivers' know at which hotel you are staying.
Location, Directions and Maps
- GPS Address: NRAO - 520 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
- Map with directions from the Residence Inn to NRAO Headquarters ( ResidenceInn.jpg). Note that the hotel is on Millmont Ave (top right of map). Follow the pink line to NRAO.
Things to do in Charlottesville
- Directions to Charlottesville and to NRAO Headquarters can be found here.
The Charlottesville Downtown Mall
is a popular place - especially if the weather is nice. Directions from the Residence Inn to Parking Garage at Downtown Mall
A block of rooms has been held (at special NRAO meeting rates) at the following hotel:
- Marriott Residence Inn
- $129/night for a one-bedroom suite
- includes complimentary full breakfast buffet
- to obtain special rate, please use this link.
- If you call the hotel to make reservations, please reference "ALMA Software Development Workshop Oct2011" or Group Code ALMALMB
- a limited number of rooms are available at this hotel, so please book your room early
- deadline for rate: Wed, Sept 21, 2011