ALMA ALMA North American Science Advisory Committee Telecon Phone Meeting 2007, April 27

This page available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/27Apr07Agenda.

Contact Information

  • Call date: 2007-04-27 14:00 EDT or 18:00 UT (Friday)
  • Duration: 1 hr
  • USA Number: 1-866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517 444 6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leaders: Chris Carilli, Jon Williams


Attendance

ANASAC Members (Attendees in RED):

  • Andrew Baker (Rutgers) (2008)
  • John Bally (U. Colorado) (2008)
  • Andrew Blain (Caltech) (2007)
  • Todd Clancy (SSI) (2009)
  • Xiaohui Fan (U. Az.) (2007)
  • Terry Herter (Cornell) (2009)
  • Paul Ho (CfA, Harvard) (2008)
  • Kelsey Johnson (UVa) (2009)
  • Doug Johnstone (HIA/DAO, Victoria) (2007)
  • Lee Mundy (U. Md) (2007)
  • Gorden Stacey (Cornell) (2009)
  • Jaqueline van Gorkom (Columbia) (2009)
  • Alycia Weinberger (DTM) (2009)
  • Jonathan Williams, Chair (U. Hawaii) (2008)
  • Christine Wilson (McMaster U.) (2007)
  • Mel Wright (UC Berkeley) (2008)
(Bold = Member of ASAC)

NRAO:
  • J. Hibbard
  • A. Wootten
  • C. Carilli
  • Brogan

Agenda

1) Old Business (Carilli)

Minutes of 26 Jan 2007 meeting. Approved
Action items from March 2007 telecon:

  • ACTION: Future science meetings
    • WHO: All
    • Due: June 07
    • Done:

  • ACTION: Doug should contact Mark Adams about Canadian Brochure
    • WHO: Doug Johnstone
    • Due: June 07
    • Done:

  • ACTION: Send DRSP II to ANASAC for NA input
    • WHO: ASAC members
    • Due: May 07
    • Done: April 27

The DRSP II can be found following the links at: https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/ASAC7May07Agenda Does the ANASAC want to have coordinated input into this, or just individual?

  • ACTION: Does ASAC/ANASAC want Splatalog presentation
    • WHO: Blain
    • Due: May 07
    • Done:

  • ACTION: Review membership
    • WHO: Carilli
    • Due: April 07
    • Done:

A number of members are due to rotate off in 2007. Can we have some suggestions as to new members, and perhaps rotating the difficult job of the Chair?

  • ACTION: Get further input on NSF reaction to Grants
    • WHO: Carilli
    • Due: April 07
    • Done: see below

2) ALMA Science IPT Science IPT concerns. (Wootten)

Al Wootten will discuss the arrival of the first antenna elements at the OSF. We can also discuss recent software testing (CASA, pipeline, user interface), at least briefly, in preparation for a longer S/W discussion, perhaps at face to face.

3) Update on ASAC (Mundy)

ASAC Web Pagehttps://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/AlmaSac

ASAC Face-to-face agenda: https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/ASAC7May07Agenda

Please read the ASAC charges. The ANASAC is invited to provide comment to the NA ASAC members. The ESAC and EASAC have had face-to-face meetings this past month to provide their members with advice.

4) ALMA Ops, NAASC proposal reviews (Carilli/Hibbard)

The NAASC is currently responding to the panel report. Carilli will summarize the main questions and response.

Does the ANASAC want to see the final Global Ops plan?

Discussion -- current standing of the potential for a grants program, and how to make progress. The latest word from the NSF is that implementing such a program remains programmatically impossible. NRAO will continue to pursue the discussion with NSF. A further recommendation from the ANASAC as to the need for the program, and a suggestion as to how to promote such a grants program in the user comminity (AAS townhall, email questionaire, other?) would be helpful.

5) ALMA Workshops (Brogan)

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/naasc/disk07/

see also upcoming meeting of the ESO community: http://www.eso.org/projects/alma/science/meetings/gar-sep07/

6) Date of face-to-face and next telecon

  • Date of next phone meeting will be on: June 1, 2007
  • We need to plan the next face-to-face. Options are: After June NAASC workshop, or end of August or other.

Supplemental Material

-- ChrisCarilli - 25 Apr 2007
Topic revision: r6 - 2007-05-02, ChrisCarilli
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback