ALMA ALMA North American Science Advisory Committee Telecon Phone Meeting 2007, January 26

This page available at https://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/26Jan07Agenda.

Contact Information

  • Call date: 2007-01-26 19:00 UT (Friday)
  • Call time 14:00 EST or 19:00 UT
  • Duration: 1 hr
  • USA Number: 1-866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517 444 6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leaders: Chris Carilli, Jon Williams


Attendance

ANASAC Members (Attendees in RED):

  • Andrew Baker (Rutgers)(2008)
  • John Bally (U. Col.) (2008)
  • Andrew Blain (Caltech) (2007)
  • Todd Clancy (SSI) (2009)
  • Xiaohui Fan (U. Az.) (2007)
  • Terry Herter (Cornell) (2009)
  • Paul Ho (CfA, Harvard) (2008)
  • Kelsey Johnson (UVa) (2009)
  • Doug Johnstone (HIA/DAO, Victoria) (2007)
  • Lee Mundy (U. Md) (2007)
  • Jaqueline van Gorkom (Columbia) (2007)
  • Alycia Weinberger (DTM) (2009)
  • Jonathan Williams (U. Hawaii) (2008)
  • Christine Wilson (McMaster U.) (2007)
  • Mel Wright (UC Berkeley) (2008)
(Bold = Member of ASAC)

NRAO:
  • J. Hibbard
  • A. Wootten
  • Carilli
  • Brogan

Agenda

1) Old Business (Carilli)

Minutes of 08 Dec 2006 meeting. Approved
Action items from last time:

  • ACTION: Charges: how to handle charges over the year (see agenda 4)
    • WHO: C. Carilli
    • Due: Propose procedure by Next meeting
    • Done: Sent to ANASAC Jan 15, 2006

* ACTION: Future science meetings
    • WHO: All
    • Due: June 07
    • Done:

2) ALMA Science IPT News (Wootten)

Project news from Lee Mundy, who had just attended the Board telecon. Construction -- one item under discussion is power supply for site. Beasley is looking into options, the best of which is to get on the grid. FE - full production package with 4 receivers has been integrated and being tested at NTC in dewar. Vertex has delivery date of Jun 30 for first antenna. Correlator remains ahead of sched. Computing - major CASA alpha release tests in Feb/March. Carilli discussed NSF ops review panel site visit in late January. Four panel members plus three NSF and Carilli visited JAO and ALMA site and APEX facilities. All were impressed by the very high level of activity at the OSF and AOS, with basic frame work being almost complete on the OSF main buildings, and the Vertex antenna building, plus concrete poured for many test/AIV antenna pads. The shell of the AOS is complete, and many of the inner walls. The road is complete.

3) Update on ASAC (Mundy)

ASAC Web Pagehttps://safe.nrao.edu/wiki/bin/view/ALMA/AlmaSac

Mundy reported on board ASAC charges. They are still under discussion, but possible charges are: Consideration of DRSP2, review of ACA within full array, review of molecular line catalogs, rediscuss operations plan after review. Carilli said we hope to send revised global ops plan to ANASAC by first week march, after review, but depends on results of review and Board responses.

4) Update on ALMA Ops, NAASC proposals (Carilli/Hibbard)

Timeline:
  • ESO internal review Jan 17 2007
  • Final ops plan to Board Jan 29
  • Global Review Feb 27 28 (Wash DC)
  • NAASC plan review March 1 (Washi DC)

All are working furiously toward making this a successful, and beneficial review for the most efficient and effective scientific operations of ALMA

5) Charge I: Interim charges (Williams)

see Supplemental Material below

All agreed on the process

6) ALMA Workshops (Brogan)

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/naasc/disk07/

Brogan reported that preregistration is going very well, with over 100. Good mix senior/junior, US/Foreign. Hotels are in order. Real registration will be first come first serve. Logistics are in order

Carill mentioned that NRAO 50th anniversary registration will be open soon: http://www.nrao.edu/50/science.shtml

7) Next Telecon

  • Date of next phone meeting will be on: March 9, 2007 This is a week later than normal, due to the conflict with the NSF review.

Supplemental Material

Charge I -- Carilli had an action item to come up with a scheme to deal with ANASAC charges in-between the face-to-face meetings. Following is a proposed process:

The ANASAC has evolved to a parallel working mode as the ASAC, with formal charges from NRAO, and ANASAC responses. These charges represent key issues in ALMA operations that require input from the scientific community. As with the ASAC, these charges can be generated both internally, by the project, or can be recommended by the ANASAC to the project. Since the ANASAC meets face-to-face once per year (as opposed to twice per year for the ASAC), we need a mechanism to deal with expedient issues that may arise well before the annual face-to-face meeting.

We propose the following:

1. For issues that are not time-critical, or that arise within three months of the face-to-face, the item will be added to the formal Charges to be addressed by the ANASAC at the face-to-face meeting.

2. For items that are time-critical, and cannot wait for the face-to-face meeting, an ad hoc charge will be generated by the project, in consultation with the ANASAC, which can then be addressed in a timely fashion during a subsequent ANASAC telecon. A formal response can be generated by the ANASAC, and be posted on the ANASAC web page in a manner similar to the reports generated from the annual face-to-face meeting.

-- ChrisCarilli - 02 Feb 2007
Topic revision: r2 - 2007-02-08, JonathanWilliams
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback