ALMA North American Science Advisory Committee
; ALMA North American Science Advisory Committee Telecon meeting Feb 18, 2011
Overview of the contractor and Technical areas at the OSF. Image courtesy ALMA (ESO/NAOJ/NRAO).
Information for those calling in.
* Call date: 2011-02-18 02:00 pm EST
or 19:00 UT (Friday) * Duration: 1 hr
* USA Number: 1-888-989-3306
* Outside USA Number: +1 517 968 4643
* Passcode: 2935920#
* Leaders: A. Bolatto, C. Lonsdale
- Old Business The enhanced Agenda from last meeting is available. minutes from that telecon are available.
- Report on ALMA progress at Chile (Wootten, Crutcher)
- For the FY2011 summary and FY2012 outlook see
- The NSF Budget.
- The ALMA portion of the budget is attached below.
- For a recent summary see Science portion of last JAO Report: ALMA JAO Science Report attached at bottom.
- Previous reports for the project as a whole are at ALMA Monthly Reports. * Eight antennas are available: DV02 in pad J504; DV04 in pad T702; DV05 in pad J505; DV06 in pad T704; DV07 in pad J510; DV08 in pad T703; DV09 in pad N602; PM02 in pad T701. Furthermore at the OSF, DV01 and DV10 are engaged in interferometry as part of the test interferometer. DV11, DV12 and PM01 were recently accepted and are undergoing outfitting. The AEM antenna DM41 has undergone its further pointing and holography tests at the AEM Camp.
- update on the OT testing and other preparations for ES
- Integrated Test 3 (Hibbard)
- update on the NAASC operations (postdoc hiring, etc) (Lonsdale)
- update on ALMA community day proposals: how many, where, etc (Lonsdale)
- update on NA call for ALMA development proposals (Wootten)
- update on our letter to the NSF: still being considered (Bolatto)
- Note words on funding of individual proposals in attached ALMA portion of budget.
- very short report on Bolatto December visit to Chile (Calan workshop, ALMA Chilean community day at Vitacura, Chile and the NAASC)
- ASAC activities (D. Johnstone, A. Baker)
- report of past ALMA workshop (see Al's email 01/26), discussion of future meeting
- "From Dust to Rocks to Planets" - Bringing together the ALMA, EVLA,VLBA, and GBT communities together with dynamicists, modelers, latest results from exoplanet surveys, protostellar disks, KBO/asteroid observations, etc. Particularly timely now that Kepler results are out.
- "The Growth of Galaxy Disks" - Outer disks of the MW and other galaxies. Extended UV disks, SF thresholds, dynamics, disk regrowth, environmental influences, disks at high redshifts. Needs to avoid overlap with NAASC 2009 meeting on "Assembly, gas content, and SF histories of galaxies", and "Galaxies through cosmic time". Clear connection between ALMA/EVLA/GBT
- "Physics and Evolution of Galaxy Clusters" - We thought that perhaps there was too much overlap with other conferences this year (Irvine, Huntsville). But it may be that there still is appetite. SZ effect, intracluster shocks, dense clusters and galaxy groups, environmental effects on galaxies, etc.
- "Jets, winds, and outflows" - A meeting to bring together the protostellar and AGN jet communities, including galaxy feedback.
- Astronomer Outreach:
- Any Other Business
- Astronomer Outreach: JAO ALMA Webpages; ALMA Newsletters; ARC-maintained wiki of ALMA science meetings and training events; NRAO eNews; NAOJ News.
Events of Interest
"Building on New Worlds, New Horizons: New Science from Sub-millimeter to Meter Wavelengths"
Mar 7-11 Santa Fe, NM
ALMA Development Workshop
Mar 21-22, Charlottesville.
218th AAS Meeting
May 22-26, 2011 Boston, MA
The Molecular Universe
May 30 - June 3, 2011 Toledo, Spain