ALMA ALMA North American Science Advisory Committee Telecon Phone Meeting 2007, June 1

Contact Information

  • Call date: 2007-06-01 14:00 EDT or 18:00 UT (Friday)
  • Duration: 1 hr
  • USA Number: 1-866-675-5385
  • Outside USA Number: +1 517 444 6916
  • Passcode: 8445333#
  • Leaders: Jon Williams, J. Hibbard

VertexRSI Pedestal Assembly at OSF The first production antenna is being assembled at the OSF Technical Facility! See other images and animations.


ANASAC Members (Attendees in RED):

  • Andrew Baker (Rutgers) (2008)
  • John Bally (U. Colorado) (2008)
  • Andrew Blain (Caltech) (2007)
  • Xiaohui Fan (U. Az.) (2007)
  • Paul Ho (CfA, Harvard) (2008)
  • Kelsey Johnson (UVa) (2009)
  • Doug Johnstone (HIA/DAO, Victoria) (2007)
  • Lee Mundy (U. Md) (2007)
  • Gorden Stacey (Cornell) (2009)
  • Jaqueline van Gorkom (Columbia) (2009)
  • Alycia Weinberger (DTM) (2009)
  • Jonathan Williams, Chair (U. Hawaii) (2008)
  • Christine Wilson (McMaster U.) (2007)
  • Mel Wright (UC Berkeley) (2008)
(Bold = Member of ASAC)

  • J. Hibbard
  • A. Wootten
  • C. Carilli
  • Brogan


1) Action Items (Hibbard)

Minutes of 27 April 2007 meeting. Approved
Open action items:

  • ACTION: Future science meetings
    • WHO: All
    • Due: June 07
    • Done: continuing

  • ACTION: Doug should contact Mark Adams about Canadian Brochure
    • WHO: Doug Johnstone
    • Due: June 07
    • Done: Doug

  • ACTION: Review membership and chair
    • WHO: Carilli, ANASAC
    • Due: face-to-face
    • Done:

  • ACTION: Get further input on NSF reaction to Grants
    • WHO: Carilli, Baker, Russell
    • Due: on-going
    • Done:

  • ACTION: Set up wiki for face to face dates
    • WHO: Wootten
    • Due: June 1
    • Done:

3) Update on NAASC activities (Hibbard)

4) Update on ASAC (Mundy)

5) Interim Charge -- ALMA grants program (Williams)

See supplemental material

6) ALMA Workshops (Brogan)

see also upcoming meeting of the ESO community:

7) ALMA Science IPT Science IPT concerns. (Wootten)

8) Date of face-to-face and next telecon

Supplemental Material

Interim Charge: The NAASC asks that the ANASAC reconsider the potential for a Users Grants program, in the light of the NSF response to the NAASC plan, subsequent feedback to members of the ANASAC by the NSF, and the comments of the NRAO Users committee on a grants program. We are particularly interested in: (i) reconsideration of possible scenarios that are consistent with NSF policies, (ii) arguments for and against a grants-with-observing-time program as opposed to a general increase in the NSF PI grants program, or a means to merge one into the other, (iii) mechanisms for the User community to voice their opinions on this issue, and the role of NRAO in such mechanisms.

Action items for face to face:

-Membership and chair

-Suggestions for future workshops


-User grants discussion preparation: get more detailed input on NSF policies. Communicate Users committee report to ANASAC

-Consider formal Charter for the ANASAC, formalize charge and response format, and consider a telecon cadence of once every two months.

-- ChrisCarilli - 22 May 2007
Topic revision: r6 - 2007-06-01, JonathanWilliams
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding NRAO Public Wiki? Send feedback